Thursday, January 30, 2014

Embarrassing is not the word.


I had not been in jail a week.  I had not yet overcome my stage fright.  In the cell block there is only one toilet and it sits out in the open.  This means with twelve to fifteen people sharing the same toilet for an entire day, every day, everyone is just sitting there while you use it.  Once they get us out of our cell for the day there is no going back in.  Everything happens in plain view for all to see, all the time.  My problem was peeing with a room full of people right behind me.  They made fun of me though, standing there forever trying to pee, so I eventually figured out how to pee under the pressure.  I will do anything to avoid being made fun of.  You see, my pride wouldn't allow for it, if they could pee publicly, so could I.  I was too young to be in there.  It's going to be a long ride. 

So there I was, sitting up on top of the steel picnic table that is bolted to the floor watching the Prices Right at like ten or eleven in the morning.  It's the only channel they allow on the TV.  Elbows on my knees with my hands under my chin, waiting.  It’s all there is to do in there.

I don't remember why on this particular day, but there were not many other inmates in the cell block, it must have been a court day or something.  Maybe I just felt like I was the only one in the room.  I was sitting there practically all by myself when I saw something out of the corner of my eye.  I turned to look, and right there in the hall outside the cell block looking at me through the glass was a group of high school students taking a tour of the jail.  I knew all of them.  I had just been attending the same high school with them the previous year.   I just kind of waved, I didn't know what else to do.  Embarrassing really isn't the word.  Reality was rushing in.  It was starting to slam home in my mind. 

This was my first bitter taste regarding my new situation in life, my first realization of my loss of freedom.  I watched them leave and could not leave with them.  This was my first taste of knowing that my life was going to be very different now.  Of course back then I had no idea what it would mean in my life that my peers were going to college and I was going to prison.  I had no concept of how this would forever change my life.  I had no idea what this would mean for the adult me, in terms of wisdom and life experience.  Looking back now, I would not change going to prison because as it is now, I still got to go to college and still have those experiences that everyone else got to have.  I made sure of it.  I lived life.  I lived that dream.  While no one else had hardly any of mine, and never will have the experiences I obtained in prison.  Some of the lessons I learned about life and what it is to live, well, I don't see how those same lessons can be learned out here in society without actually being incarcerated.  I have often pondered this situation, and it seems true to me, that freedom cannot be appreciated in its deepest levels until one has lost their freedom. 

When another grown man tells me when and where I can go I don't feel free.  Who would?  It's degrading.  This prison business was a long ride.  I would suffer anything at all if I knew I would be free for doing it.  I value my freedom over all other things. It turned out that prison set me free, spiritual life in effect.  This life of mine has been about breaking free of attachments.  Going to prison saved my life in a weird way because it forced me to break free of certain attachments that I probably would never have been able to break free of out in society as it is.  The cultural pressure is just too strong.  This is one of the reasons so few wake up.  
Most people have no clue what freedom really is. 

No comments:

Post a Comment